Monday, September 3, 2018

The First Fifty




I began drafting this blog on July 1st in hopes of posting right after the July 4th vacation week. My plan was to have finished half of my Goodreads Reading Challenge for 2018 of 100 books and list them along with the reason I chose to read them. Not reviews, or even if I liked them, just the circumstances that led be to pick it up, download, borrow, buy or listen to a particular book.
Now, it’s Labor Day and I finally finished the 50th book. (According to Goodreads, I’m 17 books behind in my Reading Challenge, so I’ll try to keep this short and get back to reading).
Without further ado and/or Columbus Day, the following is the first half of my 2018 Goodreads Reading Challenge:



Title -  Author  - Why I Chose



Little Fires Everywhere- Celeste Ng  - Peer pressure, I saw ‘everyone’ reading it



How to Find Love in a Bookshop -  Veronica Henry - It sounded cozy. About books & writing



Sisters First - Jenna Bush Hager - Needed an audiobook for cleaning house



Tell Me More - Kelly Corrigan - By Glitter & Glue author, I’d been anticipating 


The Hideaway-  Laura K. Denton - My book club’s January pick.



Graduates in Wonderland -Jessica Pan - Downloaded from library late-night 



So Far Away-  Meg Mitchell Moore - Waiting for new & realized I missed this one



Icing on the Cake - Ann Marie Roache - New release from a friend



The Dry - Jane Harper - My book club’s February pick



I’ve Still Got It… - Jenna McCarthy - Wanted something funny after The Dry



Party of One…  - Dave Holmes - Was in mood for a funny audio memoir 



The Captain’s Daughter - Meg Mitchell Moore - New release I was waiting for



The Truth According to Us - Annie Barrows - I can’t remember why I picked this


Digging In - Loretta Nyhan - New release from a friend



An American Marriage - Tayari Jones - Christmas gift. Oprah’s pick



Alternate Side - Anna Quindlen - I never miss her new releases


Educated: A Memoir - Tara Westover -  Read great reviews and saved for vacation


Every Note Played - Lisa Genova  - Recommended by a friend



Frat Girl - Kiley Roache - Daughter of friend’s first book



Townie - Andre Dubus III - Wanted a memoir audio book for plane ride



Welcome to Night Vale -  Joseph Fink - Recommended by my daughter


Hot Mess - Emily Belden - My book club’s April pick


Boys in the Trees - Carly Simon -  Wanted another memoir for audio


My Dear Hamilton - Stephanie Dray - Bought the day of release, loved previous book


Force of Nature - Jane Harper - Liked first book, decided to try second



Less - Andrew Sean Greer - Gave in to Amazon & Goodreads rec’s



Etched in Sand - Regina Calcaterra - My book club’s May pick



The Address - Fiona Davis - Recommended by a friend



Girl Unbroken - Regina Calcaterra - Sister’s version of Etched in Sand, HAD to read



Lawn Boy - Jonathan Evison - Lucky Day shelf at library. Like the cover


All the Little Lights - Jamie McGuire - Follow the author, new release


As Bright at Heaven - Susan Meissner - Recommendation from book club friend


The Woman in the Window - AJ Finn - My book club’s June pick


Beartown - Fredrick Backman - It was finally available at library! 



Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng - Heard it’s better than Little Fires (true) 


I Have Lost My Way - Gayle Foreman - My daughter wanted me to preview



Truly Devious - Maureen Johnson - I follow her on Twitter and was intrigued



The Divorce Papers - Susan Reiger - I thought I had to read before Heirs (false)


The Heirs - Susan Reiger - Recommened thru Goodreads



Designing Your Life - Bill Burnett and Dave Evans - My daughter’s college’s reccomendation


White Houses - Amy Bloom - My book club’s July pick


Now That You Mention It - Kristan Higgins - I follow her on Twitter, sounded good


I am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter - Erika L Sanchez -  Recommended by book club friend


Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly - My book club’s August pick


The Perfect Couple - Elin Hilderbrand - Eagerly awaited to read on vacation



The Summer Wives - Beatirz Williams - Sounded good for vacation 



Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan -Movie looked great and I  Always try to read book first


Clock Dance - Anne Tyler - New one from her, chose audio


Good Luck with That -  Kristan Higgins - New release by author I read recently 


Next Year in Havana - Chanel Cleaton - Recommended by a friend (not Reese)




That’s 50! For a sneak peek at the next 50, I am currently reading China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan because it's the second in the trilogy and super fun. I am also listening to Curtis Sittenfeld’s newest release: You Think It I’ll Say It because I love her style and quirky storytelling.



I try to review everything I read on Goodreads so catch me there and send me some recommendations. I hope to update this before NYE!





Ally


No comments:

Post a Comment