Sunday, October 27, 2019

Stay in Your Lane




I love the quotes addressing parents to allow their children live their own lives. Recently, I’ve needed the gentle reminder. With one daughter at my alma mater and the second of three applying currently, I’ve made more than a few references to, “when I was there…” followed by the ever-popular, “when I was your age…” and “we used to…”

So, when I come across beautiful adages on social media, I appreciate their message and try to heed the advice.

You will teach them to fly, but they will not take your flight.
You will teach them to dream, but they will not dream your dream.
You will teach them to live, but they will not live your life.

Beautiful, right? I agree. But not easy to put into practice. Why? Because how can I resist comparing my college years in the early 90s when they are literally wearing every article of clothing I did back then?

I mean, really, girls. I’m talking to you now. The mom-jean? We knew they weren’t cool 30 years ago and I take comfort in knowing you’ll cringe too later and probably worse than me and my friends since there are only about eight photos from my college years, not 64 KB.

Yes, I will try not to chime in and tell you how great that bar used to be, or how we all used to love the hockey games, but maybe don’t Facetime me wearing that white turtleneck tucked into high-waisted button-fly black jeans?

However, should any of you don a braided, brown leather belt with a brass buckle looped around itself with the ‘tail’ hanging over – all bets are off. I will then wax prophetic about White Claw being an imposter, just Zima 2.0 for the sugar-free generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment